1925 manufacture date (traditional estimates)
1927 shipment date, according to Spann's Guide to Gibson
Guitar, Style L5
Factory Order number: 8657
Originally owned by Stanley Richards, purchased new at the Gibson Factory when he toured there in 1925 or 26, He once played in a Band out of Butte, Montana.
EC, 16" lower bout, sunburst finish, carved spruce top with f-holes, figured maple sides and carved back, 2-piece flamed maple neck with snakehead headstock, white-bound 20-fret ebony fingerboard, pearl dot inlays, 1-3/4" nut width, 24-3/4" scale, adjustable ebony bridge, gold trapeze tailpiece, w-b-w-bound body and tortoise plastic pickguard, w-b-w-bound headstock with pearl "The Gibson" and flowerpot inlays, engraved-3-on-a-plate tuners with pearl buttons (small chip in low E and A buttons), an absolutely wonderful crack-free example of the immediate post-Loar period, with the requisite excellent sound, includes DeArmond FHCB single coil pickup and archtop mounting bracket, with arched-lid OHSC (green lining, new handle) (SN:81273 FON 8657)